TA: Kingdoms Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to TA: Kingdoms

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When people review TA:K

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Westerwald

Westerwald

When people review TA:K Empty
PostSubject: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptySat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 pm

These guys... I just have no words. They haven't even played multiplayer. Fullstop...

https://youtu.be/5LYSouIF7kE

https://youtu.be/s5cxYruQh8U

Poor dudes don't even use the patrol command.

Saved the worst for last:

IGN strikes again!
http://m.ign.com/articles/1999/07/07/total-annihilation-kingdoms

"On the Veruna side, for instance, you have the Warrior and the Berserker. Both of them are hand-to-hand units that serve almost identical purposes. Since resources are unlimited, why on Earth would I ever want to bother building a Warrior (answer: I wouldn't)."

-IGN staff

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/total-annihilation-kingdoms-review/1900-2535621/

"Why should Taros build zombies when executioners do the same job so much better?"

-Gamespot

omg
Back to top Go down
$_Spagg

$_Spagg

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 am

The IGNs reviews are hilarious! but sad...
I wonder if they were just playing with +atm but even then zombies would still do a different role than execs and warriors a different role than zerks. pretty dumb
Back to top Go down
Westerwald

Westerwald

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Yeah it's a joke. I wonder if they felt swordsman and horsemen were "basically the same" as well considering they forgot to mention how much faster a berserker is compared to a warrior. I doubt it though, they probably saw horse and thought "this must have a different purpose"

Even I could come up with a better example for their arguement, even though I don't agree with it. Why not use Swordsmen/Barbarians as an example? That would have made a little more sense.

Back to top Go down
APM

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptyTue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 pm

TAK is a great game, I dont know why most people dont see this, its a shame it got the response that it did in the press, it should have been received at least as well as warcraft 2.
Back to top Go down
Westerwald

Westerwald

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 1:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XOvnDNXcI

Back to top Go down
$ MalinOMW

$ MalinOMW

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm

wait

most/many reviews are about 1.0 version without crusade balance
and then its true
it was extremly buggy game, zombie =>useless unit, etc etc

Even in Poland it was released on magazine (CD-action) with 1.0 version in 2008 :O, terrible terrible Sad

but patrol = patrol, who the hell would use patrol as atack-move command
yep i know, but if you compare to other RTS, its quite obvious lack of basic command (which had been added in keys.tdf, as possible to add, but still in "basic" interface you can't find that one)

P.S.
ohh, hadn't watch them before write

first review is new one (2016) \"****\" 640x480 or 800x600, it really hard to play xD

second (2014) he is just singleplayer guy,

third (1999) ign, TA:K was pretty **** as 1.0 version

fourth (1999) same

Trust me try to play TA:K on 1.0 version

then you understand that this game wasn't good, and couldn't get good opinions Sad
Back to top Go down
Westerwald

Westerwald

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 pm

I actually played the TAK 1.0 a long time ago, yes very imbalanced but they dont give credit to things cavedog got right (more on that later).

About IGN and Gamespot, some of their points would make sense, but still not all. As I said before, the beserker is absolutely nothing like a warrior even if were talking about the original. In fact, if mon expendable wasn't on then clearly the beserkers impact on the game was completely different from the warriors. It's like they didn't even play the game for more than 15 minutes, otherwise they would have seen this. Also, I disagree that the concept of spreading out lodestones all over the map was bad idea, though I do agree that some CD/DC arenas dont have enough mana.

Honestly TA:K feels a lot smoother compared to other rts of that time, and the hotkeys and interface are very friendly. Numbered units and the full screen radar are nice additions (not sure if OTA had these).

"first review is new one (2016) \"****\" 640x480 or 800x600, it really hard to play xD

second (2014) he is just singleplayer guy"

The former never played multiplayer either according to what he said in the comment section of his video. They're probably confused as to why they have so many dislikes on their videos, but it should be obvious.
So what if the campaign is horrible? People aren't coming back to TA:K for campaign generally speaking. The problem is that people rarely mention how much this game has evolved since then; if you're going to make a youtube review in 2014-2016 you had at least mention the game in it's current state, not just how it was 16 years ago...
Back to top Go down
$ MalinOMW

$ MalinOMW

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm

yep playing on small resoultion on today era xD

the hell no matter what i play game but i always look to change resolution, maybe not for full hd, but for sure not 800x600 xD

but on the other hand i remember that TA:K had in some polish newspapers 8/10 rate, and probably even for 1.0 version (i wouldn't give more than 5/10 for 1.0 ver, even in 1999)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When people review TA:K   When people review TA:K Empty

Back to top Go down

When people review TA:K
Page 1 of 1