TA: Kingdoms Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to TA: Kingdoms

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sight ranges mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Is there a mod which increases all units' sight range and makes flying units not requiring to land? Because so far the game consists of keeping your flying units in the air while having ranged and artillery units behind. Basically, who can keep their air scouts longer in air, wins. This may work for modern or sci fi games, but in medieval fantasy setting doesn't make much sense. Many may say it brings more strategy in the game, but the end result is rather boring and annoying micromanaging of your air scouts while at the same time producing tons of them.
Back to top Go down
Riceloft

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Its called "patrol". Your air units won't land if you patrol them.
Back to top Go down
DeeKay
Administrator
DeeKay

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:03 pm

well.. New era mod makes flying units not going to land =p
Back to top Go down
http://alltakdownloads.6te.net/
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am

Yes, but you must still move them very quickly, moving it like for one square, so patrol won't help much. Sight range is still the major issue.
Back to top Go down
Riceloft

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

I fail to see a problem. You can use the minimap to patrol across the entire map.
Back to top Go down
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, but they will get killed easily when enemy is nearby, almost impossible to destroy towers, especially because the buildings in the fog disappear, you have to exactly mark the tower and then blind fire at the spot where it resides, then there can be many towers, just can't rush them, since if you melee one, there will be at least three killing your melee units, ranged are even more fragile, artillery just can't see them. Medieval fantasy is generally more army clashes, not spot and fire, in TA:K who manages to retain larger vision wins, everything else is unimportant rly. Ground units should the sight at least the range of tower, or at least there should be several per race who have extended vision.
Back to top Go down
Riceloft

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I feel as though this would be FAR less of a problem if folks played real maps, and not the silly TvB, LvR "all/85% of mana is in my base" crap.

Yes, in TvB and LvR matches, sight matters quite a bit. If you were to play a match on Abnar's Terrace or a Crusades map, it would matter far less. You're busy fighting over mana while teching up and not insulating your base with defense while trying to spot the enemy defense.
Back to top Go down
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Well the issue is majorly in the campaigns. They should be fun, not tedious as currently is, especially later scenarios and addon. I resigned to finish addon only because I was already tired of this vision thing.
Back to top Go down

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 pm

There are units that provide radar, that have more sight... learn what units are them and use them wisely. This way taking down towers are very easy. In TAK you don't send a group of units randomly at the enemies' defense. You micro the units, give them orders, attack, patrol. And, shock, all in real-time.

And many people play spread mana maps, but since GSA less often in team games. You just gotta take the initiative I guess...
Back to top Go down
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 am

Yes, those units are exclusively flying and radar works on minimap only, so you can only approximately guess where are enemy buildings. And as I already told, I'm not talking about multiplayer, which may go on a totally different way, but campaigns, where towers are very numerous and after you concentrate to one, there are already nearby ones shooting to you. You can't really outrange towers with sight range and radar ability is useless and unfitting the fantasy setting.
Back to top Go down

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Radar is just a term. It's like the reason why Stone Giant has some radar view. He's giant (no shit), he may have a blurry sight, but he has an idea of where the things are around him Razz But yea I'll have to agree that radar becomes a essential point just online, cos singleplayer people rarely make efficient use of it to take down towers and stuff. Although sight, with some scouts, should be quite enough.
Back to top Go down
$_Spagg

$_Spagg

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 am

You can use SHIFT to target many towers.

You can use CTRL on the barrack, hold shift, click to move to somewhere, still holding SHIFT, click to patrol in another way. Then all birds will go and keep patrolling a specific area.

I never saw sight as a problem I have cleared the campaign an year ago Razz
Back to top Go down
drekonja

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 am

How can I target towers, if I don't see them. Clearing towers in campaign is a nightmare.

Eventually those birds will be swatted down. Basically one of my producing buildings was constantly producing birds only.

The thing is that units die very quickly and if enemy sees you and you don't, you lose most of your army in few seconds. It's pretty lame that the game focuses only at one thing, this is, getting more sight than enemy.

Again, I'm not talking about multiplayer, skirmishing uses usually more open maps, but in the campaign, you encounter a tower, you need artillery and constantly managing your bird, who is in range of the tower with its sight, unable to do anything else because of this. You encounter two towers in certain distance, well \"****\', now two towers shooting at your bird. Entrenched towers (on the cliff, behind the wall, etc.), killied entire population of birds. In multiplayer and skirmish no one will be able to mass towers, even they do, there will be a way around, while in the campaign you will be fighting the whole fortress with unreachable towers EVERY FUCKING MISSION! Except early ones, which are actually fun, but then they become very tedious, especially in the addon, I gave up in addon campaign because of this lame sight system, so I'd like to know if there is a way to proportionally adjust the sight range of units, so their attack range won't be 5 times their sight.
Back to top Go down
Tarosking-DB

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:28 pm

1 bird, 1 catapult. have the bird patrol the catapult. Bird will essentially circle around the catapult giving it alot more LOS. Once you see a tower, have the catapult already selected and lock on to the tower.

Easy game.

If there's a bunch of units along with the tower then have some tier 1 swords/bows as well.

Birds LOS is farther than a tower. If you're microing a few units this really shouldn't be all that hard. The LOS is fairly realistic espeically for a 12 year old game.

If you have to sacrifice a few birds to give site to your long range units wtf is the issue? Pay attention to your birds when you're scouting to find towers etc, take a few more birds, have long range units selected and lock on. They will continue to fire without LOS once locked. Once they stop firing. They've killed what you needed them to and then proceed with doing whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sight ranges mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sight ranges mod   Sight ranges mod Empty

Back to top Go down

Sight ranges mod
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TA: Kingdoms Forums :: GENERAL :: General Chat-
Jump to: