TA: Kingdoms Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to TA: Kingdoms

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Requesting assistance from the community ...

Go down 
+2
Wire
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

Requesting assistance from the community ... Empty
PostSubject: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Greetings all!

I've recently begun contemplating a project, but need a little assistance from the last of the communities that support this beautiful game.

First of all, does anyone have the original TAK Website Kits, like the ones that contain all the concept art, higher resolution unit portraits, some of the interface images (like the ones at the top of the forum), etc? If I recall, that webkit contained some very high resolution color portraits of all of the major Monarchs, as well as a few other bits of eye-candy.

Second of all, does anyone have information regarding the "Titles" of the original TAK soundtrack by Soule? I recorded all the tracks to CD years ago, but never bothered looking them up or writing them down Sad. I've combed the internet looking for it, but only found one website and I'm flaky about the authenticity of the titles, as I'm pretty sure it was someone who just wanted to make a quick buck (being a bootleg version like mine).

Third is of a more technical nature ... everyone's aware of the WARMod, but no matter how many times and ways I've tried, I've NEVER been able to get the WARMod units (specifically, the Creon Observation Balloon) to show up in the game, except one time months ago. Nothing I do works anymore, even though I can see the units in the file. I'm really at a loss as to why that's happening. The HPI I'm working off of I believe is warmod21.hpi, which is 556kb and dated December 16, 2006 (although I'm iffy about the date ... that seems too recent to be accurate).

If you have any of this information, I'd greatly appreciate it. My email is wire@thewolfclan.net. I'm not worried about file sizes, as I have an unlimited storage space on this account just for such emergencies Smile

Thank you, and keep TAK'in!

Wire
The Wolfclan
Back to top Go down
http://www.thewolfclan.net

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Last edited by ... on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 pm

The project is a personal video project. I have to main ideas of focus, but haven't decided which one I want to pursue yet, if I do it all. I just wanted to be able to take a look at the original webkits, along with getting some of the other information before I made a decision one way or another.
Back to top Go down
TF-Lord-hawk-claw

TF-Lord-hawk-claw

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm

ftp://ftp.phoenixworx.org/cavedog
has a crapton of cavedogs stuff
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 am

Cool, thanks! That site had some of what I wanted Smile

I'm specifically looking for the high resolution artwork for the monarchs. I had them ages ago, but lost most of it in a hard drive crash. I managed to find some through backup CDs recently, but the monarchs and a few other things are still missing.

BTW, I figured out my problem with some of the units with the game ... the TAK Switcher program interferes with the way the WC formatted the WARMod. I'll be uploading a new version in the very near future to be more compatible with the Switcher, and will publish it on our website soon. Hopefully, this weekend, but if not sometime late next week.
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Final version of the WARMod is now ready for download on our downloads page at http://www.thewolfclan.net

This new HPI compiles both the original WARMod 2.1 file, as well as all the new units, into one single download. It does NOT enable the Creon stuff (although the Creon files are included), so you will still need IP to play it. In the future, I'll upload a vanilla install file for both TAK and IP, along with the 3.0bb update, with nothing else attached.

BTW, Lord-Hawk-Claw ... I want to doubly thank you for that link. After going through a lot of the files, I found about 90% of what I was looking for Smile. Your help is most appreciated.

Hope to catch you guys in a game sometime in the very near future. I've been reacquainting myself with TAK since my main computer crashed on me. My backup computer is slow, but it plays TAK like a champ. Just need to re-familiarize myself with the game before I can break back into the swing of things Smile. It's been fun revisiting the game after all these years.
Back to top Go down
Sage
Lead Designer of The New Era Expansion Project
Sage

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey Wire, good to see you in these forums. I have some art images under the gallery section by the banner. Which music are you looking for? is it the ones that play inside the game? If that's it, you can find it under C:/cavedog/kingdoms/music.
I have the entire cavedog site downloaded on my desktop. It shows most of the high res unit portraits there. I'll upload it once I get my desktop back up and running. I'll have it uploaded on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
https://takuniverse.webs.com/
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't need the music tracks (I knew where to find them already Smile) I just need the titles for the tracks. I talked with a former developer, but he doesn't recall the names, and doesn't have any documentation about it anymore. Thought about trying to contact Jeremy Soule, but wanted to see if I could get the same answer from the community a little faster. Smile

Last edited by WireWC on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because apparently english isn't my native tongue O_o)
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Another question Smile

During the creation of the WARMod, we briefly discussed giving the Zhon Bat (a scout) an attack, to further differentiate Zhon from the rest of the nations, and give zhon a minor "boost" during the early game. We never really pursued that course, but I've been playing around with it for a few days now. However, no matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get the bat to actually attack anything. It has mana, a recharge rate, and a weapon, but all it does is hover and "bounce" around like a bat on crack cocaine Very Happy. I've tried lowering the flight altitude, raising the range of its weapon, etc, but nothing happens.

Maybe I missed something. Do you guys know if anyone's ever been able to give a non-combat unit an attack weapon? I'm considering the problem might be a lack on an emitter in the 3do file, but I seem to recall that it wasn't necessary except for direct fire weapons (like flames, etc).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Well, Zhon can tech at a remarkable rate. Faster then any other race by a longshot.

I think the game was made and balanced just fine. There just needs to be a few bugs addressed.
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:25 pm

It wasn't the teching up that we were concerned about, really. We were trying to improve upon the original design plans of Zhon (which included walls and a combat-ready scout). The curious thing is that even though they tech up well, their tier 1 units are far inferior to any of the other races. We were just trying to give them a "cheap easy fix" to the Aramon Horse rush. The goblins were Cavedog's compromise in the design plan, but we (during the Annimod project) thought that since Zhon was supposed to be the "Air Sigil," their tier 1 rushers should have been airborn units, rather than melee like the goblins. We even had plans to expand their air abilities, by giving them more combat aggressive air units, but again, we shelved most of those ideas because of lack of a decent cobbler (it was a \&quot;*****\&quot; trying to convert the Creon Observation Balloon animation from Lightwave to a method the game would recognize).

This is more of an exercise than a WARMod, though. Playing around with these files is giving me a certain nostalgic feeling. I'm just playing with it right now Smile. Hell, we even gave Zhon a wall structure, though it was never implemented in the final build. You should have seen the "Vine Wall" we created back then Smile. It actually damaged melee units while they were knocking it down hehehe. We shelved that idea because in our initial testing, it gave Zhon too big of an advantage. One of the testers flew Thirsha into an enemy base, and walled an enclave at the build point. The unit would get stuck after the build, stopping further builds, until it died.

And I STILL remember the first time a Monarch was "walled in." by Thirsha. Never even expected that to happen.

I'm just interested if it's possible to do this, especially since I haven't been able to get it to work. Since my current system crashes more often than not during the load screen, I haven't been able to get on Voobly enough to satisfy my hunger for a good RTS. So playing around with the files is about the only thing that I can do at the moment Smile.

Back to top Go down
$_Spagg

$_Spagg

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:26 am

How did you edited the Bats? And those other things?
I was lookin for what you use to edit things in Tak

"We even had plans to expand their air abilities, by giving them more combat aggressive air unit"
Who are you talking about We? Is it WolfClan?

(I want to get more inside with these Tak discussions Razz)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:34 am

The Troll and Swamp Beasts are the most superior units in the T1 category (even though the swampies are considered monstera (?) ).

Trolls and a totem can negate any horse rush, and with some tactical maneuvering and mon fighting skills, Elsin can be countered as well - however that is not an easy task.

The Goblin rush is designed to be dropped by Rocs early game, assuming they are going for a fast tech (this is where scouting comes into play).

Zhons major concern should be getting doubled.

Not trying to hijack your topic, sorry, just my two cents.

Considering the build time of a bat, which is rediculous, I think they should have some sort of melee attack. Your idea is a good one, how to implment that is beyond me.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by ... on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
$_Spagg

$_Spagg

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Are Trolls good units?
I prefer Hunters instead of then, they take a lont time to attack and isnt too strong, also they are very slow. Comparing to the Warriors SwordMans and Executineers, in my opnion Trolls are the worse of them.

Swam Beasts Roccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkksssss
Back to top Go down
angel3b

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Spaggetti wrote:
Are Trolls good units?
I prefer Hunters instead of then, they take a lont time to attack and isnt too strong, also they are very slow. Comparing to the Warriors SwordMans and Executineers, in my opnion Trolls are the worse of them.

Trolls are the best t1 unit they can handle about 2 or 3 warriors, after them i guess come the executioner
Back to top Go down
Wire<The Wolfclan>

Wire<The Wolfclan>

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 pm

You also have to remember, hatebreeder, the WC started the WARMod just before v3.0 was released. Zhon had a rough time back then. When v3.0 was released, Zhon became more of a challenge. That's part of the reason we shelved the bat attack and the zhon wall ideas.

It's just a personal project, Landherr. I just wanted to revisit some of the ideas we had back then, and try to implement them. But I've been away from the game so long, I'm having a tough time remembering what we did to accomplish it. I'm getting close to recreating the Zhon wall that attacks, and I think I know what's wrong with the bat's attack (in our version, it had a lot higher build cost and rate, to offset its abilities ... consider it more of a light harrassing unit than anything else). The Zhon Wall was nothing more than a unit that couldn't move (much like the Totem), but it had a shorter build time and a minor "Thorn" attack that was melee. I've been able to recreate it, but can't get it to attack properly yet. The only way it works is if the Thorn attack is a projectile, rather than melee ... not quite sure why yet.

It's just a for-fun project, nothing more Smile.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Requesting assistance from the community ...   Requesting assistance from the community ... Empty

Back to top Go down

Requesting assistance from the community ...
Page 1 of 1