TA: Kingdoms Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to TA: Kingdoms

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TAK won't run after install; what do I do?

Go down 
+5
$_Spagg
$_ARTHAN
__Best Ever____
Sage
ToroidalBoat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ToroidalBoat

TAK won't run after install; what do I do? Empty
PostSubject: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello, first time poster here.

I recently obtained a copy of the original TAK CD, and it installed fine on my old system (under Windows 98 SE); however, when I try to run it, the CD drive goes idle and it's stuck on the splash screen until I get sick of waiting and eject the CD. The program then goes:

> Please put in the CD

(or something to that effect) That's about the maximum extent I can use the actual program.

(the map editor works fine though)

What's going on here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Your best bet is to download the full game package via the forums.  You can find them here in the Downloads section.
Back to top Go down
ToroidalBoat

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not download though, unless CaveDog released the game as freeware.
Back to top Go down
Sage
Lead Designer of The New Era Expansion Project
Sage

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Cavedog died 13 years ago. Gone, no more, finito.
Back to top Go down
https://takuniverse.webs.com/
ToroidalBoat

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 pm

> Cavedog is dead

The times they are a changin'...

At any rate, I know the problem isn't the CD, as I installed and ran it just fine on a WinXP system once. But on my Win98 SE system  (TAK was from 1999), it does as described in the original post.

Any idea what's going on, and how I could fix it without resorting to downloading?
Back to top Go down
Sage
Lead Designer of The New Era Expansion Project
Sage

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Try installing the required patches such as 4.1bb.

Last edited by KD-Sage on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://takuniverse.webs.com/
__Best Ever____

__Best Ever____

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Well they still sell TAK especially on the internet... here's one: www.gog.com/gamecard/total_annihilation_kingdoms

www.alltakdownloads.6te.net has for free and includes campaign's videos too

ok I realize I should've read the thread first. Try reinstalling the game, using a crack (kingdnocd.exe is available on alltakdownloads.6te.ne, you'll probably need kingnocd.icd as well) or I dont know

Last edited by DE-diplomat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : lol)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gameranger.com
$_ARTHAN

$_ARTHAN

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 am

Try to run Choose Rendered and fix things that way. Otherwise, use compatability for your version of Windows...
Back to top Go down
$_Spagg

$_Spagg

PostSubject: j   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Just download it from Manolo's website... if you think you are helping cavedog by buying it instead of downloading, you are mistaken. Cavedog is gone long ago and you are helping actually, a random dude around the world who happened to have the game. Downloading the game is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
Tarosking-DB

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Colored text ITT.
Back to top Go down
ToroidalBoat

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for your replies so far, everyone. I still haven't found out what the problem is, although it could be the rendering engine; unfortunately the program only has one rendering method available when I go to the select renderer program.
Back to top Go down
$ MalinOMW

$ MalinOMW

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Cavedog\Kingdoms\ChooseRenderer.exe

only one rendering method?? how that possible
and what is the name of that method? :
software render,
direct3d/hardware.
Back to top Go down
Vaerun

Vaerun

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Or...

If you do not want to download the game, extract all the files on the CD to a space/folder on your HD and run the setup.exe from there; however, if the program still does not want to run, set the setup.exe to compatibilty mode of WINXP. Then aquire the necessary patches and Iron Plague thru this site if you do not already have them.

Vaerun
Back to top Go down
DeeKay
Administrator
DeeKay

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Or...

You should try downloading & installing your latest video card driver.
Back to top Go down
http://alltakdownloads.6te.net/
DeeKay
Administrator
DeeKay

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Topic moved to Support Forum, Questions & Help Requests Section.

Topic also Locked, if the owner wants this topic to be unlocked, PM me.
Back to top Go down
http://alltakdownloads.6te.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TAK won't run after install; what do I do?   TAK won't run after install; what do I do? Empty

Back to top Go down

TAK won't run after install; what do I do?
Page 1 of 1